What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a community based strength and conditioning that incorporates functional movements performed at high intensity across broad time and modal domains. Additionally, it is:
1. Community Based. All classes are group classes. All classes throughout the day perform the same workouts and can be modified based on experience level (see "Do I have to be fit to do CrossFit?")
2. Constantly Varied. Your body is highly adaptive. It quickly gets used to common routines, making your efforts less effective and less responsive to change. Every day a different workout is planned using different movements each class.
3. Functional Movements Performed At High Intensity. Have you ever picked up a heavy box off the ground? Placed it overhead on a shelf? Then you’ve done a dead lift and a press. Have you ever sat down on a toilet? You’ve completed a squat. Functional movements are multi-joint movements that are born out of actual everyday life. We teach you how to perform them correctly, safely, and efficiently. Once we see that you can maintain proper form we add weight and a little volume to get you stronger, faster and healthier. By executing these workouts at a high intensity, you’re increasing your strength and stamina all while benefiting from an intense cardio workout.
4. Across Broad Time. Each workout is different meaning all times are different one day you’ll do a “fast workout” around 5 minutes or less and some days you’ll do a longer workout 20 minutes or more. By doing workouts of varying time domains you are getting fitter, while building speed, strength, stamina and endurance.
5. Modal Domains. Along with having workouts of varying time domains the movements will differ. CrossFit consists of a mix of Olympic and Power lifting, running, rowing, gymnastics, kettlebells, and plyometrics. The workouts may have a little bit of everything one day or just one movement another day.
What makes RHF crossfit different from other crossfit gyms?
CrossFit is known for attracting—and primarily being accessible—to a homogeneous demographic of higher earning fitness enthusiasts. In contrast, RHF CrossFit members represent the 98118 community. We are also the only non-profit gym in Washington State.
Attend any of the 25+ classes that we offer each week and you’ll see people from all over the globe represented within the gym. In keeping with Rainier Health & Fitness’s goal of providing affordable access, membership at RHF CrossFit includes full access to Rainier Health & Fitness and all its amenities (free childcare and access to group classes such as yoga, ZUMBA fitness, cycling, etc.). At a much more affordable rate compared to neighboring gyms and unlimited access to attend classes 6 days a week, RHF CrossFit has been providing affordable access to a high quality CrossFit program in the Rainier Valley since 2013.
So what does an RHF CrossFit Class look like?
Classes vary from day to day but for the most part consist of a warm-up, mobility, instruction, strength workout, conditioning workout, and cool down/stretch/core work.
Do I have to be fit to do CrossFit?
NO, that is the beauty of CrossFit. It can be scaled and modified to fit any person’s skill level, athletic ability, injuries, flexibility or experience with exercise. Our staff is trained to prescribe proper modifications for various movements and limitations.
Isn't it for young 20-30 somethings?!
No way! CrossFit is for EVERYONE. Don't believe me check out this video!
Is the intro Class required?
Yes, all new members regardless of fitness level are required to attend the 90 minute intro class to learn a variety of movements and fundamental techniques as well as complete a WOD (workout of the day). If you’re interested, contact us for a FREE intro class. If you were a member at a previous CrossFit gym we may waive this requirement with completion of a movement assessment or recommendation from previous coach. See Get Started.
Does RHF CrossFit offer Yoga?
RHF CrossFit membership includes full access to the Rainier Health & Fitness gym, complete with classes like yoga, MixxedFit® and cycling.
How much does it cost?
RHF CrossFit classes are offered at an affordable rate without compromising quality. See Rates.
How do i change my membership option?
All monthly memberships (month-to-month, 3-month, and 6-month contracts) automatically renew. If you have any changes to your membership, please let us know ASAP or at least seven (7) days prior to your next scheduled payment.
Can I put my membership on hold?
If at any point you need to put your membership on hold (e.g. injury, pregnancy, illness, travel, etc.) or to make changes to your membership, you notify us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least seven (7) days prior to your next scheduled payment. We can put your membership on hold at no cost for up to two months (after that the fee is $10.00/month to remain on hold). All punch cards will expire three (3) months after purchase.
Is there childcare?
Yes! We offer free childcare for all members right in our CrossFit gym. Monday through Thursday from 5 PM to 8 PM, our qualified, background-checked volunteers take care of children ages 1 to 10 in a fun and safe environment.
What is saturday morning’s open gym?
Every Saturday at 10:30am we have Open Gym. During open gym there’s a warm up and workout of the day on the board. There’s also a coach present. Everyone goes through the warm up together and then you can choose to do the workout of the day or you can workout on your own. Feel free to ask your coach for guidance or movements you'd like to work on . Be sure to check the schedule and reserve your spot!